The New Hi-Fi Standard, A&norma SR25The SR25 is the second model in the Astell&Kern A&norma standard line. Beginning with the AK70, Astell&Kern's goal was to bring high resolution audio and the Astell&Kern sound to more music lovers.
This goal continued with the successor to the AK70, the A&norma SR15, and now evolves further as the SR25, a premium product that fully embraces Astell&Kern's philosophy and technology, now available to the masses. The SR25 is the latest answer to our never-ending question of "How do we get closer to the original sound the artist intended?"
The SR25 improves on the SR15 by: Adding a new, faster Quad-Core CPU paired with the Dual Cirrus Logic CS43198 Master Hi-Fi level DAC, first used on the SR15
Native playback support for DSD256
A new class-leading performance mode for ultra-high quality playback without compromise
Newly designed circuitry to improve sound quality enhancements
Addition of Bluetooth LDAC codec to give users more options for higher quality wireless sound The essence of Astell&Kern's philosophy that sound quality is never compromised is exemplified in the SR25, which expresses every musical detail and bit-perfect playback as only Astell&Kern can.
Performance Mode for Ultra High Resolution Sound
The SR25 supports native DSD256 and 32bit/384kHz audio for the first time in an Astell&Kern standard product and boasts performance that cannot be compared with other competitors' products.
The SR25, which is smaller than other players, has been developed to achieve stable, ultra-high resolution sound. We have developed a new Performance Mode with the SR25 that automatically optimizes and sets the memory mode in the system according to the data size of the source being played.
As the resolution of the sound source increases, it is necessary to process a large amount of data rapidly. If this part is not optimized, sound breakup may occur. To prevent this, the SR25 uses the new Performance Mode to adjust and optimize the system in order to produce near perfect sound quality when playing back high resolution audio.
Experience ultra-high resolution with the SR25's Performance Mode, which reproduces even the smallest, minute details of the original recording the artist was looking for, without compromise.
Perfect Circuit Design for the Highest Sound Quality
Proper playback of DSD256 and 32bit/384kHz digital audio requires a high-performance CPU and fast memory speed, along with an audio path suitable for high-speed signal processing.
Optimizing the length of the audio path is a very important part, as failing to properly do so can create a time delay between the signals resulting in sound abnormalities.
With the SR25, the Astell&Kern team developed a completely different PCB design from the existing SR15 to process the high speed signals where required, resulting in audio path lengths that are the same, allowing for super-high resolution sound without any delay.
Furthermore, newly designed audio patterns and power circuits for distortion-free signal transmission and noise rejection are applied to each channel.
The result is an Ultra Low Noise Filter that allows you experience Astell&Kern's flawless sound, with Zero Noise, on the SR25.
Embark on a Musical Journey That Lasts the Entire Day
If the power supply's stable design and efficiency are not properly taken into consideration, the input/output voltage difference becomes large, and when the output current is large, the output voltage can become unstable. This leads to excessive noise being generated, which can be a major cause of poor sound quality. In addition, poor power efficiency will result in a shorter playback time.
The SR25 set a big challenge for the Astell&Kern engineering team – add the longest playback time of any previous Astell&Kern product, while maintaining the signature Astell&Kern quality sound, and a low-noise floor.
In the SR25, the team not only applied highly efficient components, but they focused on developing circuit optimizations to get the most out of their performance.
The result is up to 21 hours of continuous play time, more than double the previous generation SR15, with no compromise in sound quality.
No need to worry about battery life while on your daily journey, just have fun on your Music Trip with the SR25.
Continuous Playback Time
* Standard - MUSIC: FLAC, 16-bit/44.1kHz, Unbalance, Volume 80, EQ OFF, LCD OFF
No Compromise on Sound, Even When Connected Wirelessly
In addition to 24-bit music playback via aptXTM HD Bluetooth as in previous Astell&Kern players, the SR25 adds LDAC support to give users more options to listen to high resolution audio wirelessly.
Now you can enjoy Astell&Kern's high-quality sound when paired to Bluetooth earphones, headphones and speakers.
Bluetooth Code Bit-rates Compared (kbps)
Astell&Kern's Exclusive Metalworking Technology
Astell&Kern products are often compared to art sculptures, with colorful faces and angles not found in other products. This precise design work is based on Astell&Kern's long accumulated know-how and highly precise metalworking technology.
In order to produce this unique style Astell&Kern is famous for, 5-axis machining is performed instead of traditional 3-axis machining used in general machining. All metal must be processed at once without interruption.
In addition to 5-axis machining, Astell&Kern has perfected it's crafting of metal through thousands of hours of trial and error. Only after mastering these techniques that Astell&Kern has developed, can the beauty of the metal shine through.
The vibration-free processing machines used by Astell&Kern are the same ones used by expensive Swiss luxury watch manufacturers. This is reflected in the crafting of the volume wheel which is processed precisely like the crown of a luxury watch for the best operating feel.
Astell&Kern products are designed to achieve perfect integration at whatever angle you look at it in your hands.
The Aluminum body on the SR25 provides maximum sound quality, while suppressing noise as much as possible. The use of laser ground extension technology gives you the best sound possible, without interference or distortion.
Astell&Kern combines these small parts to make a big difference in the quality of our products that no other manufacturer can match.
Latest System Optimization for a Better User Experience
The SR25 firmware is based on Android 9.0, which adds a number of behind the scene features and upgrades to provide more stable operation over previous versions of Android OS. The use of Android 9.0 ensures the most popular music streaming apps installed via Open APP will be fully compatible with your Astell&Kern player now and with future app updates.
Astell&Kern customizes Android to provide a fully optimized system and user interface, designed to give users a smooth, fluid musical playback experience.
Using Open APP Service
The Open APP Service enables the user to install specific APK music streaming apps to the device. Copy the desired APK into the Open Service folder of the product and install the relevant App in the Menu-Service of the product.
MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is an award-winning British technology that delivers the sound of the original master recording. The master MQA file is fully authenticated and is small enough to stream or download. Visit mqa.co.uk for more information. Astell&Kern A&norma SR25 includes MQA technology, which enables you to play back MQA audio files and streams, delivering the sound of the original master recording.
MQA and the Sound Wave Device are registered trade marks of MQA Limited. © MQA Limited 2016
The new design of A&norma SR25 incorporates drastic changes without losing the balance between an optimal user experience, looks and keeping the A&norma design identity. The harmonious combination of these various design aspects symbolize the rhythmic feel and freedom of music.
The player features layers of various sized rectangular surfaces with added angles to invoke the sense of pulsating musical rhythm from its design. Precisely milled cuts resemble various reflections of light and create a depth of space around the volume wheel that further emphasizes the bold light reflections that are created at different angles of view on the entire player.
On the back, the bold oblique cut surface of the rear glass meets the triangular shapes that surround the volume wheel. The patterns of the rear glass beautifully express the spreading of light when it is reflected off the surface. The rhythmic pattern on the rear glass will change as light is reflected at different angles.
The new SR25 is ideal for one-handed operation and is a perfect fit no matter which hand you choose to hold it in. The angle of the front screen and extra space around it gives you the perfect grip when it's held.
Package contents include:
- SR25 Device x 1
- USB Type-C Cable x 1
- Quick Start Guide x 1
- Warranty Card x 1
- microSD card slot cover x 2
- Protective Film (Front x 2, Back x 2)
*Case is not included in the product package. Cases for this model are available for purchase separately.
SR15 User Guide
- A&norma SR25 User Guide - English
- A&norma SR25 User Guide - Japanese
- A&norma SR25 User Guide - Russian
- A&norma SR25 User Guide - French
- A&norma SR25 User Guide - German
- A&norma SR25 User Guide - Chinese (Simplified)
- A&norma SR25 User Guide - Chinese (Traditional)
- A&norma SR25 User Guide - Spanish
SR25 MAC OS Driver
SR25 is compatible with MAC OS X 10.7 and up. In order for a Mac computer to communicate with our device a MTP program will need to be installed.
How to install the program for file transfer:
- Disconnect Device from PC
- Download the file transfer driver at Android File Transfer site: http://www.android.com/filetransfer
- Install the file downloaded according to the provided directions on website.
- After successful installation, connect the device with the computer.
SR25 USB DAC Driver
Driver File: SR25 USB DAC Driver
- This is an integrated USB Audio driver for AK Devices. The previous USB DAC driver will need to be deleted from the AK Device prior to installing the new driver. To delete the previous driver, connect the AK Device to the computer and the previous driver can be located in the "Contents" folder.
- This driver is for Windows 7/8/8.1/10 (32/64bit). For MAC OS, the driver is automatically recognized without needing to be manually installed.
- Once the driver is installed for Windows PC, the device will be recognized automatically.
- To use the AK Device USB Audio as the default device, you may need to change the default output device option in the computer's Settings Menu.
- For high quality sound playback on Windows PC, it is recommended to change the default format to 24-bit, 192000Hz" for the AK Device in the Control Panel - Sound menu.
- For Native DSD playback, the music playback program must also be capable of Native DSD playback. Depending on the music playback program, you may need to change the audio device to AK Device USB Audio in Settings menu.
- For more information on using USB Audio, please refer to the AK Device's product manual.
How to Install the Driver
- Click the Driver File link above to download the USB DAC driver for your Windows computer. After running "setup.exe" file, click the [Next >] button.
- The installer will display the path of the driver to be installed.
- Click the [Install] button in the installer to complete the installation.
- When the installation is complete, the AK Device's USB DAC device driver is automatically installed. Click [Next >] --> [Finish] button of the installer to complete the installation.
- Connect the AK Device in USB DAC mode to listen to music.