The Answer to the Value of Premium, A&futura SE200The SE200 is the second model from the Astell&Kern A&futura premium line of Digital Audio Players. After the first A&futura model, the SE100, we were once again thinking about the nature of the word premium and asked ourselves, “What is the value of premium in Hi-Fi and how can we express it in a product?” We decided, “Let's make One device that nobody can duplicate.”
We wanted to try something no one else has tried before, including Astell&Kern. The result is the SE200.Equipped with the world's first Multi-DAC (2 x ESS ES9068AS + 1 x AKM AK4499EQ) Independent AMP structure designed to compliment each DAC's characteristics DAC Filters to choose your preferred sound profile Audio performance to feel premium Hi-Fi sound presented by AK Upgrades that add a Premium value experience
Every single element and feature of the SE200 has been updated to make it the best of the A&futura line. We introduce the second product to the Astell&Kern’s premium A&futura line, the SE200.
World's First Multi-DAC DAP
The A&futura SE200 is the world’s first Multi-DAC player. Since the release of the Dual DAC AK120 player in 2013, we have not seen any products feature more than Dual DACs in the last seven years. This prompted us to ask the question, “Why hasn’t there been more than two DACs in a player?” So, we set out to become the first manufacturer to use more than two DACs and the result is the SE200.
The SE200 features the latest audiophile DACs from ESS, the Sabre ES9068AS in a Dual DAC configuration. We then added a single AK4499EQ, AKM’s flagship DAC that is used in our flagship SP2000. Combining the three DACs, we have produced the world’s first multi-DAC DAP.
This pairing exhibits the philosophy of the A&futura line to pursue fundamentally different sound than found in typical DAPs.
To properly implement multiple DACs, we needed to spend twice the amount of time on development and double the amount of time in properly tuning the player.
Astell&Kern is not content to keeping things the same all the time. We are constantly working to improve on what we have already achieved which is to bring the most accurately reproduced and best sound to our products.
We hope you have a completely new music experience with the Astell&Kern SE200.
Independent AMP Sections Designed to Match DAC Characteristics
The SE200 was not designed with one AMP circuit, but multiple, different AMP designs to optimize the different characteristics of the AKM and ESS DACs that are used in the player.
By separating the signals for each channel of Balanced and Unbalanced output, we designed independent circuits that do not interfere with each other to provide the best sound possible.
Your Own Sound Style
The SE200 goes beyond just selecting the best DAC for the type of music you are listening to.
You can now further customize your sound by choosing from a variety of DAC filters provided by the DAC manufacturers allowing you to choose your own preferred sound profile.
Unique Manufacturing Technology That Takes a Step Further
Astell&Kern products are often compared to art sculptures, with colorful faces and angles that are not found in other products. This crafting is done using precise metal processing technology.
The SE200 maintains a similar design identity to the SE100 which combines trapezoidal straight lines and curves. These curves are the result of ultra-precision metal processing that has been perfected by Astell&Kern.
After experimenting with different materials for the back plate of the SE200, we created a new ceramic rear cover, instead of the glass found on the previous generation SE100. This material not only improves wireless network performance, but produces a more premium feel to the player.
New manufacturing techniques were developed to precisely mold the high-gloss ceramic cover involving seven separate processes. A low-speed processing method is used to prevent cracking and produce a durable backing. The results are a rear cover that is not just beautiful, but functional.
The Aluminum body on the SE200 provides maximum sound quality, while suppressing noise as much as possible. Plus, the use of laser ground extension technology gives the best sound possible, without interference or distortion.
The vibration-free processing machines used by Astell&Kern are the same ones used by expensive Swiss luxury watch manufacturers. This is reflected in the crafting of the volume wheel which is processed precisely like the crown of a luxury watch for the best operating feel.
Astell&Kern products are designed to achieve perfect integration at whatever angle you look at it in your hands.
Astell&Kern combines these small parts to make a big difference in the quality of our products that no other manufacturer can match.
A Premium Player Line Evolved
Every time we create a new Astell&Kern product, we push ourselves to create an even better version than before.
The SE200 builds upon the specs that made the SE100 a popular premium product, while offering new features not found in previous players.
*Some specifications may vary depending on DAC settings and usage environment.
Playback Information Reflected in Light
The SE200 features a volume wheel LED that displays a variety of music playback information including volume range, bit-rate of track currently playing and the current DAC that is being used for playback of music.
Using Open APP Service
The Open APP Service enables the user to install specific APK music streaming apps to the device. Copy the desired APK into the Open Service folder of the product and install the relevant App in the Menu-Service of the product.
MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is an award-winning British technology that delivers the sound of the original master recording. The master MQA file is fully authenticated and is small enough to stream or download. Visit mqa.co.uk for more information. Astell&Kern A&futura SE200 includes MQA technology, which enables you to play back MQA audio files and streams, delivering the sound of the original master recording.
MQA and the Sound Wave Device are registered trade marks of MQA Limited. © MQA Limited 2016
The design of the A&futura SE200 maintains a similar design identity to the SE100, combining bold curves while maintaining a trapezoidal shape identity.
The design of the blended curves on the side of the trapezoidal body of the SE200 is meant to express the idea of the merging of two different types of DACs into one unified player.
The volume knob is divided into two to symbolize the two different DACs used and harmonizes with the curves on the side of the player to reflect soft light.
The precision processing of diagonal lines shows the unique sophistication Astell&Kern is known for.
The A&futura SE200 is the first to apply a new material called a ceramic plate to the top and rear of the player. Unlike conventional glass, you can see that the light flows deeply and softly around the top and rear of the player.
The rear cover with curved cuts meets the side surface of the player and gently wraps around the wheel, showing a smooth flow of light.
Discover the subtle details Astell&Kern uses to enhance the beauty of the SE200, from the ceramic plates that are precisely processed to fit the aluminum body to the precise lines that encompass the player.
Package contents include:
- SE200 Device x 1
- USB Type-C Cable x 1
- Quick Start Guide x 1
- Warranty Card x 1
- microSD card slot cover x 2
- Protective Film (Front x 2, Back x 2)
*Case is not included in the product package. Cases for this model are available for purchase separately.
SE200 User Guide
- A&futura SE200 User Guide - English
- A&futura SE200 User Guide - Japanese
- A&futura SE200 User Guide - Russian
- A&futura SE200 User Guide - French
- A&futura SE200 User Guide - German
- A&futura SE200 User Guide - Chinese (Simplified)
- A&futura SE200 User Guide - Chinese (Traditional)
- A&futura SE200 User Guide - Spanish
- A&futura SE200 User Guide - Korean
SE200 MAC OS Driver
SE200 is compatible with MAC OS X 10.7 and up. In order for a Mac computer to communicate with our device a MTP program will need to be installed.
How to install the program for file transfer:
- Disconnect Device from PC
- Download the file transfer driver at Android File Transfer site: http://www.android.com/filetransfer
- Install the file downloaded according to the provided directions on website.
- After successful installation, connect the device with the computer.
SE200 USB DAC Driver
Driver File: SE200 USB DAC Driver
- This is an integrated USB Audio driver for AK Devices. The previous USB DAC driver will need to be deleted from the AK Device prior to installing the new driver. To delete the previous driver, connect the AK Device to the computer and the previous driver can be located in the "Contents" folder.
- This driver is for Windows 7/8/8.1/10 (32/64bit). For MAC OS, the driver is automatically recognized without needing to be manually installed.
- Once the driver is installed for Windows PC, the device will be recognized automatically.
- To use the AK Device USB Audio as the default device, you may need to change the default output device option in the computer's Settings Menu.
- For high quality sound playback on Windows PC, it is recommended to change the default format to 24-bit, 192000Hz" for the AK Device in the Control Panel - Sound menu.
- For Native DSD playback, the music playback program must also be capable of Native DSD playback. Depending on the music playback program, you may need to change the audio device to AK Device USB Audio in Settings menu.
- For more information on using USB Audio, please refer to the AK Device's product manual.
How to Install the Driver
- Click the Driver File link above to download the USB DAC driver for your Windows computer. After running "setup.exe" file, click the [Next >] button.
- The installer will display the path of the driver to be installed.
- Click the [Install] button in the installer to complete the installation.
- When the installation is complete, the AK Device's USB DAC device driver is automatically installed. Click [Next >] --> [Finish] button of the installer to complete the installation.
- Connect the AK Device in USB DAC mode to listen to music.